Over 37 million individuals in the United States suffer from migraines, with millions of those being chronic. It has been suggested that chiropractic care may be able to help reduce the number of attacks that you are having and reduce the intensity of the pain that you experience with the migraines. According to MayoClinic.com, migraines can be caused by a number of factors including the foods and beverages that you eat and drink, stressful environments and sleeping patterns. In combination with chiropractic adjustments and other treatment that your chiropractor recommends, here's how to keep this migraine triggers at bay so that you can have a pain-free lifestyle:
1. Eat and Drink Right.
The foods that you eat and the beverages that you drink can have a significant influence on your headaches. Here are a few tips to prevent them:
- Always eat a healthy breakfast.
- Avoid salty and processed foods as well as aged cheeses, all of which can trigger a migraine attack.
- Limit alcohol (specifically wine) and caffeine intake.
- Avoid fasting or skipping meals.
2. Sleep More.
If you don't get enough sleep, it can trigger a migraine headache. Here are a few tips that will help you get a good night's sleep:
- Get on a schedule. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
- Try unwinding at the end of each day. You can do this in a warm bath, listening to music or reading a book.
- Avoid heavy eating and drinking caffeine before bedtime.
- Keep distractions—cell phones, laptops and TVs—out of the bedroom or turned off at bedtime.
- Get plenty of exercise during the day throughout the week. It can help improve quality of sleep.
3. Reduce Stress.
As expected, stress can also cause a migraine headache to come on. Along with eating healthier and getting more sleep, you can reduce and manage your stress with these tips:
- Take 15 minutes out of each day to relax and reflect.
- Take up yoga and meditation and learn deep breathing techniques.
- Maintain strong connections with your social network.
- Listen to your favorite songs, or a playlist of peaceful nature sounds. Don't forget to sing!
- Watch your favorite comedy movie or television show and have yourself a good laugh.
The aforementioned tips and lifestyle changes can help you reduce or prevent migraine headaches. If you suffer from migraines, and have had little to no luck with other treatment methods, you may want to consider speaking to a chiropractor who can help you learn more about how chiropractic adjustments and other treatments may help in your current situation.